Tuesday, September 16, 2008

C & T

I rarely leave the house these days.  And it's amazing to find just how quickly time passes without really doing anything.  As a full time shut-in, what I have to show for my time are my emotional states, which have been primarily crabbiness or tiredness or some combination of tired crabby or crabby tired.  In fact, I think I'm partly tired from being crabby, and crabby from being tired.  

Why crabby?

Well, for one thing, it was hotter than tar this weekend (phrase courtesy of Willie).  The actual temperature was somewhere in the 90's, but when you factor in the humidity, oy vey.  Our A/C was broken, and with our open windows limited to one (the rest were painted shut or screen-less), there was absolutely no air movement.  I'd like to pretend that I put on a brave sweaty face and worked through it.  But, no, I was crabby.

(Pause: I do need to give lots of credit to the management company we're renting from because they had a guy out here Monday morning fixing the air conditioning.  And fix it he did.  In fact, he was here on and off for the past two days -- kind of like a roommate -- working on our list of non-functioning things.  He and I had a bit of a language barrier when he tried to explain what he needed or the status of something -- I would guess wrong or nod or smile and feel like a super dumb non-Spanish speaking white unemployed yuppie.  For example, on several occasions he seemed to be referring to another guy doing work at the house.  "He" had allegedly fixed our toilet and "he" had unclogged our drain.  And yet, there had been no sighting of he unless he was a small elf who worked in the wee hours of the morning.

Why tired?

Well, it's a funny thing how having nothing to do, nowhere to go, no one to call, and receiving emails mostly from former students requesting letters of recommendation (file that under crabby, too) is just plain exhausting.  Makes me want to take a nap.

If I could push through the C & T, I could list the good things (like that the management company is fixing lots of things in the house, like that the weather is cooler, like that I know how to get to two more places even if they're right next to each other, like that yesterday I saw about 15 school buses come bounding out of a nearby high school at 4:00 and almost threw up and instead said all of my prayers that I am not teaching right now). However, at the moment, there is an open invitation to my pity party, where I will be serving C & T's. 

3 comments:

evandebacle said...

Take heart. Between the roach(es), assorted other critters, and new "roommate," yours is quickly becoming the party house.

Naomi Jane said...

You're so right, Evandebacle. Good thing we have the 4 bedrooms, or I'd have to put the daddy long-legs hanging out in bathroom out on the street.

Claire Just Claire Like Cher said...

I'll raise a glass of C&T to ya! I'm gonna call later today -- if I call now, it's too early there. And then we can happily swap C&T stories. PS we're still out of the bedroom with the leaking ceiling, so I'd take your mgmt company over ours definitely. But not the bugs, please no bugs...