Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Heat is On

They put the high for today at 100 degrees.  In reality, it's only about 95, although my own personal heat index puts it at about 110 in the sun.

Mostly, my response to the heat has been to move slowly, be tired, act crabby, and not feel like doing much of anything. 

But, just like I'm trying to adapt to the South by using all of my will power to not scratch my mosquito bites (yes, I'm also using many and frequent applications of Off and After Bite), I'm finding ways to cope with the heat.  And I really do mean cope, as we have yet to turn on our central A/C.

A few of my strategies:

The fan outdoors?  Who knew that that's the real reason why extension cords were invented.

If you get the sugar free kind, you have less guilt about eating six popsicles in a row.


Perhaps the best non-alcoholic summer beverage: DIY Gatorade in the packets.  You are in total control of your sugary, sodium-filled Gatorade intake.


Of course, there's the learning-the-hard-way what is not such a good idea to do on a 95-degree day:

Repotting your hanging and potted porch plants would fall in this category.


And if you're Fonzie, your strategy for coping with the heat:

Play often and carry a big stick.


2 comments:

Claire Just Claire Like Cher said...

Ahhh, popsicles. Yep, those will definitely help. We used to have those Mr. Freeze Pops or whatever they were called -- you know, the plastic tube, the blue flavor well before anything else rocked blue raspberry. Yep. And I loved root beer popsicles when I could find them. I'm in for the Gatorade too, that sounds goooood. The mosquito bites, the lack of A/C -- sigh, not as good. But think how balmy CHICAGO will be SOON! Yeeehaw! Love WTCC

Claire Just Claire Like Cher said...

PS Forgot to say that I, of course, dug the song title reference! It's on the street...